MDiv Degree – Major in Biblical Counseling
The major in the Master of Divinity degree is the focused area of study designed to prepare a student for a specific career path or professional goal. Courses in the major define the subject areas of expertise being developed by the student.
Purpose of the Major
To develop necessary skills in Biblical Studies, Theology, and Christian ministries in preparation for significant leadership in the church.
- Learners will increase in understanding of the Bible and its place in the development of church leaders and leadership.
- Learners will develop a consistent theology to be applied to daily life and ministry and articulated and defended before a watching world.
- Learners will develop skills of biblical interpretation and apply these to the study of Scripture, theology, and ministry.
- Learners will develop a passion for the mission of the church and contribute to its growth.
- Learners will practice specific skills for effective counseling in the church.
Major Core Studies – 33 Credits
Major Core Studies form 33 credits of the 63 credits minimum for the MDiv degree Major in Biblical Counseling. Major Core Studies are from the Biblical Counseling, Old Testament, and New Testament subject areas.
- BC 675 Biblical Foundations for Counseling
- BS 518 Biblical Hermeneutics
- BC 506 The Local Church as a Counseling Center
- BC 504 Depression and Anxiety
- BC 562 Premarital Counseling1
- BC 565 Marriage and Family Counseling
- BC 518 An Examination of Integrationism in Christian Counseling
- BC 574 The Problem of Suffering2
- OT 625 Wisdom Literature
- NT 510 Life and Letters of Paul3
- BC 640 Master’s Biblical Counseling Practicum *1
1 Learners may replace course with an elective in Biblical Counseling (BC).
2 Learners may replace course with an elective in Biblical Counseling (BC) or Conflict Management (CM).
3 Learners may replace course with an elective in New Testament (NT).
* Learners are encouraged to pursue remaining courses while in the counseling
Program Structure – 63 Credits Minimum
- RW 001 Trinity Tutorial – 0 credits
- General Electives – 30 credits
- Major Core Studies – 33 credits
A minimum of 33 credits must be earned through Trinity.
Information on the MDiv Degree and Other Majors