DMin Degree – Major in Conflict Management
The major in the DMin degree is the focused area of study designed to prepare a student for a specific career path or professional goal. Courses in the major define the subject areas of expertise being developed by the student.
Purpose of the Major
To enable learners to pursue biblical and theological studies with special emphasis on managing conflict in the church and para-church setting; investigate the major issues and theories of conflict management from a Christian perspective; explore current intervention strategies for resolving interpersonal and systemic discord; formulate their own working model of conflict management compatible with scriptural principles and practices; and explore how their own responses to conflict impact their personal and professional/ministerial relationships.
- Learners will critique theories and methodologies of both interpersonal and systemic conflict in the light of biblical data and perspective.
- Learners will analyze conflict scenarios, assess the various conflict dynamics involved, and choose appropriate intervention strategies.
- Learners will formulate their own synthesis of methodologies and apply it to concrete church or other organizational contexts.
- Learners will be aware of the psychological/sociological dimensions of conflict and the typical internal and relational dilemmas conflict participants encounter when in discord.
Major Core Studies – 18 Credits
Major Core Studies form 18 credits of the 30 credits minimum for the DMin degree Major in Conflict Management. Major Core Studies are from Conflict Management and Pastoral Ministry subject areas.
- CM 765 Difficult People: Current Issues and Strategies
- PM 704 Leading Change
- CM 832 Principles and Practices of Christian Mediation
- CM 835 Interpersonal Forgiveness: Theological and Psychological Perspectives
- CM 850 Church Discipline: History and Current Practice
- Choose either course:
- CM 753 Principles of Restorative Justice
- PM 749 Survey and Research of Small Group Dynamics
Program Structure – 30 Credits Minimum
- RW 001 Trinity Tutorial – 0 credits
- D.Min. Common Core – 6 credits
- Major Core Studies – 18 credits
- D.Min. Capstone Research Project – 6 credits
- RW 991 Mission Outcomes Assessment – 0 credits
A minimum of 30 credits must be earned at Trinity.
Information on the DMin Degree and Other Majors